Library Code of Conduct
The library strives to maintain an atmosphere of respect and has a responsibility for the protection of public and staff safety, as well as public property. Everyone who uses the Strathmore Municipal Library is expected to behave in a manner which supports this aim.
The Strathmore Municipal Library strives to provide its patrons with:
- Prompt, respectful, and courteous service.
- Materials and services that appeal to a broad spectrum of the community
- A safe and pleasant environment in which to use Library materials and services
This Code of Conduct is therefore set in place to help achieve these goals and to allow the staff to respond consistently and fairly to all patrons.
- Patrons are expected to act with respect and consideration to other patrons and to Library staff. Behaviour that is illegal, unsafe, unruly, disruptive, intrusive, harassing, threatening, or otherwise not appropriate in a public place, is not permitted.
- Obscene or abusive language is not permitted.
- Behaviour that violates the Internet Use Policy is not permitted.
- Deliberate misuse, theft, damage, or destruction of Library materials, equipment, or property is not permitted.
- Parents, guardians, and caregivers are required to supervise dependent children and/or adults at all times while on Library property.
- Audio/video devices (e.g. iPods, MP3 players, portable DVD players, etc.) may be used in the library with headphones and with the volume adjusted to a level that is not disruptive to other patrons.
- Food and drink in the Library is subject to responsible behavior (bottled or covered drinks, sealed food containers, etc.).
- Photographing and filming is not permitted in the Library without authorization from Library staff and patrons.
- Patrons are expected to keep their possessions with them at all times. The Library is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- Patrons are not permitted in Staff Only areas without authorization.
- The use of tobacco, e-cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, or illegal narcotics is not permitted on Library property. Patrons under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or illegal narcotics will be required to leave the Library.
Patrons who violate the Library Code of Conduct will be informed by the staff and may be subject to the following:
- Expulsion from the Library’s premises
- Suspension of Library privileges
- Cost-recovery for damages
- Legal Prosecution
Repeat violators, at the discretion of the Director of Library Services, will have their membership revoked.