1000 Books Before Kindergarten
On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation, the Trellis Commons Family Resource Network, 5 for Life Early Childhood, and the Strathmore Municipal Library, we invite you to participate in this FREE program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before they start kindergarten.
The concept is simple; the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, toddler, or preschooler. The goal is to read 1,000 books (yes you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think.
The key is perseverance and we are here to help you make it exciting! When your child reaches a milestone (50 books), pop into the Trellis Commons Family Resource Network (formerly Parent Link) or the Strathmore Municipal Library to collect a small prize!
How to Participate
Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for the two of you.
Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten log book or on the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten App (for Apple or Android devices). Keep the logs as a keepsake item.
If you are able to, make sure you keep a record of any book that is being read to your child. This includes books read by teachers, grandparents, caregivers, and siblings.
- iOS App available on iTunes
- Android App available on Google Play
- iPhone and Android App Instructions (.html)
- iPhone and Android App Instructions (downloadable .pdf)
- ABC Letter Writing iOS App available on iTunes
- ABC Letter Writing Android App available on Google Play
- Numbers & Shapes iOS App available on iTunes
- Numbers & Shapes Android App available on Google Play
- Names & Words iOS App available on iTunes
- Names & Words Android App available on Google Play
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will it take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
- Can we count the books that siblings, grandparents, teachers, or librarians read to our child? Yes, absolutely!
- What books should we read? Whatever books interest your child. You can also always ask your librarian for their read aloud favourites!